Modifying the Dremel
I'm sure most of you know what a Dremel model 395 looks like. Well, you are probably wrong because the newer units don't look like this one. This is an older model 395. They've changed. I don't have a complete photo of mine before I did this trick. So what you see is after the fact. ...... I shoulda been snappin' pictures, yes?
You can give thanks to Gene Heskett for this page and tear down because he asked me to provide some sort of insight on what I did to make this thing work better in my CNC project. I had the machine apart to make some modifications and improvements anyway, so it wasn't too much trouble.

Gene, you owe me a six pack

Had I known this whole CNC project wasn't possible, I probably would not have made it possible.

Does that make sense?

Here's the modified Dremel mounted in the Z slide. You can barely see the Y slide under it. As you can see, there is a brass looking protrusion on the nose where the original plastic used to be. It isn't acually brass, it's silicon bronze.
Just to the right of the nose clamp, you can see where I turned the outside of the Dremel's housing. This was done before I cut the nose off of this thing. The way I centered it on the lathe was by totally removing all the inner workings of the dremel, placing a bearing inside the housing where the motor's output shaft was, as pointed to in the following photo.
Remember, I didn't think to take pictures as I was doing this...
With that bearing in place, I screwed the housing together with all the screws, placed a shortened pushrod from an auto engine(those things are VERY rigid and hard) into a chuck on the tailstock and used that to center the housing. I then turned the outside to true it to the bearing, then cut off the nose of the housing. After that, I made a tiny boring bar that was small enough to fit between the push rod and the housing. That boring bar turned 90 degrees so I could get it into the housing end. There was very little room between the tail stock and the dremel's housing. The tool post was in the way so the angled boring bar was necessary. I bored it out deep enough for this bronse bearing housing, and just enough diameter to clean up the inside of the dremel's housing. Then I made the bearing housing to fit inside the dremel housing. I was careful to plan this so the output shaft would be exactly the same relation to the shaft locking mechanism so I could still use that.
Very few measuments were taken as most had to be done by eye to work with that plastic.. I did round things off to make is simpler. This was not an exacting science.
The bronse housing now clamps into the original clamp used to hold the unmodified dremel. That part was the "Rounding off"
I believe this is an older dremel because everything is in inches. It is not metric. I could be wrong about the age, so don't beat me up on this little tidbit of info.
Before I did the boring, I made a simple metal ring on the lathe to fit around the housing where I turned the outside to keep it from trying to flay out, now that the nose and associated screws no longer existed. That's one of the reasons I turned the outside to true it up.
Here's what it looks like up close and in the Z axis clamp.
The bearing housing was mostly an experiment using a bronze knob. It came up short to make the fit into the clamp. I have another piece of bronze I can make that will fit completely... if it seems necessary. But this one is working.
Return to the Coco CNC Home page